Lyme disease is a tick-borne bacterial infection that can cause serious health problems if left untreated. Conventional Lyme disease treatment includes antibiotics, however, using an integrative approach with natural therapies as well can help manage symptoms and stimulate the body’s self-healing mechanisms. At Balance of Life Clinic, our integrative medicine providers in northeast Ohio offer personalized treatment plans designed to treat the whole person and help you feel your best.
Symptoms of Lyme Disease
Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi. It can be challenging to diagnose. Lyme disease antibodies usually can take weeks to develop, so tests performed before this time may be negative even if the person is infected. In this case, if the person is retested a few weeks later, they should have a positive test if they have Lyme disease.
Symptoms vary, depending on the individual and stage of the illness. Some common symptoms associated with Lyme disease include:
- Bullseye rash – Some people with Lyme disease develop a distinctive red rash that looks like a bullseye.
- Flu-like symptoms – Fever, chills, fatigue, headache, muscle and joint aches, and swollen lymph nodes are also symptoms of Lyme disease.
- Neurological symptoms – In some cases, facial muscle weakness (Bell’s palsy), numbness or tingling in the hands and feet, and problems with memory and concentration can occur.
- Heart problems — Lyme disease can lead to irregularities in heart rhythm.
Late-stage symptoms include chronic fatigue, arthritis, and more serious neurological issues.
The severity and duration of symptoms vary from person to person. Not all people with Lyme disease exhibit symptoms. If you know or suspect that you’ve been bitten by a tick, it’s best to see your healthcare provider and get properly tested to start Lyme disease treatments if necessary. If your initial test comes back negative, it’s important to get tested again in about four weeks.
Treatment for Lyme Disease in Northeast Ohio
We offer several IV therapies that may be effective for the integrative treatment of Lyme disease, including:
- High-dose vitamin C – This treatment can boost your immune system, energy level, and your body’s ability to fight inflammation.
- Hydrochloric acid – This IV infusion is used to treat a multitude of infectious issues, gastrointestinal problems, and chronic inflammation.
- Hydrogen peroxide – This therapy increases oxygen in tissues, boosts, your immune system, removes toxins, and can prevent viral, bacterial, and fungal infections.
- Ozone therapy – The antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties of ozone can be useful in treating infections, joint pain, and fatigue.
IV therapy is delivered directly to the bloodstream through a vein. Our integrative medicine practitioners closely monitor its administration.
Vitamins and Supplements
When used in conjunction with antibiotics, the antimicrobial properties of grapefruit seed and colloidal silver can be effective elements of Lyme disease treatment. Lyme disease can deplete levels of vitamin D in the body. Taking a vitamin D3 supplement and eating foods like salmon, egg yolks, and dairy products can help boost your vitamin D levels. The dosage and duration of use will depend on your specific symptoms and individual needs.
The most common antibiotics used to treat Lyme disease are doxycycline, cefuroxime, and amoxicillin. Our integrative complementary approach treats the whole person, and for patients with Lyme disease, this usually means that traditional treatments like antibiotics are an important part of their individualized treatment plan. Please don’t halt your conventional medical doctor’s recommended treatment without their advice or approval.
Our Patient-Centered Approach to Lyme Disease Treatment
Whether you’re coping with Lyme disease or another condition, physical, mental, emotional, environmental, spiritual, and social elements can all play a role in how your body responds. Our alternative medicine providers work with you to create a personalized treatment strategy tailored to your specific needs.
Contact Us to Learn More about the Treatment of Lyme Disease in Northeast Ohio
Since 2004, our knowledgeable, compassionate team at Balance of Life Clinic has helped patients live healthier, happier lives through integrative medicine. To learn more about Lyme disease treatment and the other services we offer, contact us at 330-764-4242 or toll-free at 877-764-4242 to schedule an appointment today. We’re proud to serve patients throughout northeast Ohio.